If you are going to get a whitewash in your home but don’t want to get those dull finished boring paints in your interior walls, then go through this article as you will come to know about which type of paint is best for the interior walls in India.
These are generally 5 types of paint best for interior walls –
- Enamel Paint
- Acrylic Paint
- Textured Paint
- Distemper Paint
- Metallic Paint
You would also learn about the advantages and disadvantages of each paint type to let you finalize the best paint for your home’s interior walls.
Type of Paint Best for Interior Walls
#1. Enamel Paint
Enamel paint is an opaque and glossy finish paint that which is long-lasting and usually used for painting indoor walls. Enamel paint is traditionally oil-based, but now water-based enamel paint is also getting popular.
Enamel Paint when air dried provides you with a glossy finish and used on surfaces that you have to clean often. People with small kids often like to go with enamel paint on their walls as they are easy to clean and durable.
- Highly durable paint
- Provides glossy, well-finished walls
- Ideal for highly humid areas
- Clean with damp cloth
- Enamel paints tends to develop crack after a few years
- Requires a longer period of time to dry
#2. Acrylic Paint
Acrylic paint is made with a combination of an acrylic polymer solution and acrylic resin. They are chemical-based that makes them water-resistant when they get dry.
Acrylic paint dries very fast that makes it ideal to paint indoor and give a classy finish.
They are expensive but durable without any effect of weather change because of they expand or contract according to temperatures fluctuation.
- The paints dries up easily
- You get different finishes such as matte, satin and the last is the silk finish.
- The Acrylic Paints are much durable and has longer life
- Acrylic paints are also washable. You just need to take a cloth and dip it in water and wipe it up.
- Due to the presence of anti-yellowing agents, the colours do not fade away even in sunlight.
- Acrylic paints are resistant to cracking because of elastic nature
- Require a primer coat before you apply your original paint
Also read – Best wall paint in India
#3. Textured Paint
Texture paints are used for creating a rough pattern design on a wall. They may contain metal, ribbon, lace, or coarse grains such as gypsum to create different patterns.
Textured paints use water-thinned binder for application. They are highly popular now as they provide style to the wall as well as they help in hiding any defect.on the wall surface.
Textured paints work on two things – sight and touch. You can use them as a durable alternative to wallpaper if your wall surface is imperfect.
You require different processes like sponging, raging, and brushing process to apply paint on your wall.
- Textured paints several looks such as a rustic look or a look of marble
- The texture paints has got to have thick base quality
- Textured paints help you to cover any uneven places in the wall.
- Highly expensive
- If your texture paint gets damaged then its difficult to repair and replace because the new colour may vary a lot.
- You need an expert painter for textured paint
#4. Distemper Paint
Have you seen people doing whitewash in their homes?
Most of us whitewash the walls of our interiors with chalk-like paint (don’t misunderstand with traditional slaked lime) that we call distemper in very simple words. Distemper paints are generally a mixture that includes chalk powder, water, lime, and some coloring agents.
- Distemper paints do not require any primer to be put on the walls beforehand, it can directly be applied to the walls.
- Distemper paints do not have a tendency to crack even after being in the presence of sunlight.
- inexpensive and used both outside and inside the house.
- Not washable in a complete sense and they tend to come out when they are wet.
You would also like to read – Best wall putty in India
#5. Metallic Paint
Metallic paints are also water based paints. These kinds of paints are best suited for accent walls.
- You get to have a high classy look due to its metallic finish
- These metallic paints work as an alternative to wallpaper because it creates the best base.
- With metallic paint you can only paint a small portion of the wall and also these colours are very expensive.
Things to Consider while buying a Paint for Interior Walls
#1. Health Concern
Normally paints are made up of hundreds of chemicals called VOCs (volatile organic compounds), hence try to buy zero or low VOC paints.
VOCs are solvents that mix into the air when the paint dries. VOCs may cause you acute symptoms like headaches and dizziness.
However, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency some VOCs may cause cancer if remain in contact for long term.
#2. Basic Costs
Think about your budget and match the paint type accordingly. This will help you get the best paint type to make your home beautiful.
#3. Light Quality
This is an important factor that most of the people ignore. Check the light quality of your rooms and then decide the color or texture of wall paint. You will not only make your rooms look spacious as well as if your rooms have low light problem, a light colored paint would make a dull room lively.
Check out – Best tile adhesive in India
As you have already know about each paint type and you can now decide considering the factors discussed above but one thing that you must keep in mind is the existing furnishing in your home.
Means, if you are repainting your house and this time the paint is different from the previous time then it is recommended that you choose the colour that hides your previous one completely and doesn’t get cracked over time.
Also match the paint with your existing furniture color like sofas, beds and almirahs.
So which type of paint is best for the interior walls according to you, please tell me in the comments.